fastest refresh

mike allerhand michael.allerhand at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 15:02:27 UTC 2002

What monitor and graphics card can get presentation
intervals of 5ms (and below if possible)?

Suppose you've got a monitor that can be driven at 160Hz
vertical refresh, and a video card that can drive faster than that,
and has, say, 32Mb on-board RAM.
You've set the lowest resolution and color depth. You use
small images. You set pre-release time
to spare. You select the max refresh rate your monitor can
handle, and tell eprime to present an image for, say, 6.25 ms
(160Hz). Will you get what you want? Not necessarily.
It's not easy to measure. We used a high-end storage 'scope
to measure the response from a photocell. The fact is that
it depends upon magic in the video card and driver.
We found Sony and IIyama monitors that can go to 160Hz,
but you have to get the right card. Just because the card says
it can drive at 200Hz is no guarantee that you will get that
out of eprime. For example we found ATI cards with sufficient
video RAM that claimed to go fast enough could give at
best a mulitple of two refreshes, ie. 12.5ms minimum.
One card we found that does give 6.25ms is Matrox millenium G400 max.

It would be useful to know what people are using to get low
presentation intervals. Can anyone do 5ms or better?

Mike