problems

Francisco José Tornay ftornay at ugr.es
Wed Jun 5 10:06:59 UTC 2002

At 18:34 31/05/02 -0400, you wrote:

>Help!  I am a new user to e-prime and programmed an experiment in =
>e-studio.  However, now the application will not open, for some reason, =
>and I did not make a back up copy.  The e-basic script is still =
>available; is there a way to open up e-studio from the script?  I am not =
>done programming yet, and do not want to start from scratch.
>Thanks!

I can't help much about that. It just occurs to me that the key factor is
whether you have the e-studio file. If so, just try to reinstall e-prime  (
choose the repair option in the setup program, which you will find in
windows control panel) if e-studio continues to fail and then try to open
the file again.

>     In addition to that dilemma, I also wanted to know if there was a =
>way to randomize location of stimuli.  I have a working memory paradigm =
>in which I show two stimuli (which I have on a slide right now) , then a =
>fixation, then a probe.  The probe is either the same or a different =
>object from the first two stimuli.  I need to randomize the location of =
>the first two stimuli, but I need to relate the probe location to the =
>location of the first two stimuli; it needs to be either in the same =
>location, nearby, or far away from the first stimuli. =20
  [snipped]

Just set up two attributes, one for the location of the first stimulus,
another one for that of the second stimulus: call them Location1 and Location2
The values of the two attributes would be locations acceptable for the X
(or Y) properties of the objects presenting the stimuli. This would be
either numbers of pixels or percentages of the screen size. I would
recommend the latter solution. For example you might have the following
rows in your list object.

Location1 Location2
25%             25%
25%             75%
75%             75%
75%             25%

Rows 1 and 3 would be examples of trials on which both stimuli appear at
the same location. Rows 2 and 4 are examples of different-location trials.

Then you would set the X property (on the frame tab) of the stimulus 1
object to [Location1] and the same property in stimulus 2 object to
[Location 2].

In our lab, we have used the above-mentioned procedure in order to
implement a costs and benefits paradigm.

Yours,

Francisco Tornay