about moving windows paradigm

Antonello Pellicano antonio.pellicano at unipd.it
Thu Oct 24 16:24:24 UTC 2002

Hello Everybody!!!
This is my first message to the newsgroup: I hope you can help me!!!

I am working on the moving windows experiment provided by PST.
This version displays "active windows" (selected parts of the experimental
sentence) and "inactive windows" (number of dashes equal to number of
characters composing the corresponding phrase). By pressing the space bar
you'll see the sentence progressively building.

EXAMPLE:

The poem ---------------------- --- --------------- --------- -----------------

-------- consists of long prose --- --------------- --------- -----------------

-------- ---------------------- and --------------- --------- -----------------

-------- ---------------------- --- delicate verses ---------
-----------------

-------- ---------------------- --- --------------- dedicated
-----------------

-------- ---------------------- --- --------------- --------- to Italian women.

As you can see from this schematic example the script does not distinguish
words from spaces and visualizes a ontinuous line of dashes for each
inactive window, instead of segments of dashes corresponding to single words
composing it.
Example:
The poem -------- -- ---- ----- --- -------- ------ --------- -- ------- ------

--- ---- consists of long prose --- -------- ------ --------- -- ------- ------

--- ---- -------- -- ---- ----- and -------- ------ --------- -- ------- ------

--- ---- -------- -- ---- ----- --- delicate verses --------- -- -------
------

--- ---- -------- -- ---- ----- --- -------- ------ dedicated -- -------
------

--- ---- -------- -- ---- ----- --- -------- ------ --------- to Italian women.

For this reason subjects could be informed in advance of the number and
lenght of successive parts of sentence to be presented and be biased by it.

DEAR E-Primers CAN YOU HELP ME?
IS THERE ANYBODY WHO HAVE ALREADY BUILT THIS KIND OF EXPERIMENT OR SOMETHING
OF THE SORT?

If you find it necessary, I could send you the script or the entire experiment.
Thank you very much in advance!!!!!

                                              Antonello

Dott. Antonio Pellicano
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione
Via Venezia, 8 35131 Padova
Tel. 0498276552