eprime question

Kate Shannon kshannon at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 3 23:29:59 UTC 2003

I have a general question about the limits of eprime. I am running a task in
which participants tap to a tone on response keyboards built in our lab. I
would like to record the times at which taps occur when keeping with the
pacing tone. Since eprime has to play .wav files to produce a sound, I am
having a hard time producing a pacing tone and at the SAME TIME record
two things at the same time? I keep running into the problem that the key
presses will only be read if the sound is not running, and likewise, the sound
will only run if it is the only thing being executed. It seems as if the
program is essentially paused while the .wav file is playing. Also, since I am
looping the .wav file with a sleep of 500, I cannot do anything until the
looping is finished. Any ideas?
Thank you.

-Kate Shannon

Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute