repeat stimulus, start new one

Wiltrud Fassbinder amneris at telocity.com
Thu Jan 9 01:30:47 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am a new user of E-prime, and am trying to write a script for meaning
similarity ratings for word pairs. My goal is to have participants judge
meaning similarity on a 1-9 analog scale. I also want to give visual
feedback for their judgment, so that they can go back and change it, if
possible.

I have created two text displays. The first presents the stimulus and
visual 1-9 analog scale, with number keys 1-9 as response options. The
second presents an X on the visual analog scale corresponding to the
response, and the instruction to press “spacebar” for the next stimulus,
or the backspace key to repeat in the stimulus.

I first created those 9 feedback text displays, one for each number, and
then I created an inline object. This has if-then statements of all 9
keys, and refers to the labeled text displays trial procedures I pasted
in from my 9 feedback displays.  Then I deleted the 9 feedback text
displays.

The if-then statement works, the correct visual feedback appears for
each response.  But I don't know how to implement the option to repeat
the stimulus, or moving on to the next stimulus.  Right now, regardless
of response key ("spacebar" or "backspace") a response opens the
feedback display of the next higher number key. How do I implement: if
spacebar, got next stimulus, and if backspace, repeat this stimulus?

Cheers,

Wiltrud