Timing issues

Rachel Mitchell r.l.c.mitchell at reading.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 14:07:23 UTC 2003

Hi everyone
Although my queries below relate to my wish to use Eprimne for some fMRI
studies, I think the non-imagers amonst you can probably help me too

Basically, in our scanning set up, we have a trigger system connected to the
scanner which tells your PC via a modified mouse when the scanner has
started collecting data, so your stimulation program starts at exactly the
same time
So, I set Eprime to begin on receiving a left mouse click (albeit a pretend
one from the scanner)

1) Now as I understand it the scanner will send a pulse signal to the
modified mouse everytime it collects 1 brain volume.
What I am concerned about is that when a subject presses a response button
on the subject response unit (made by Lumitouch) won't Eprime get confused
between these 2 signals or will it recognise the response unit as a
completely separate input unit from the scanner trigger/mouse

2) In some studies, I would want Eprime to start displaying a new stimulus
every time it gets a trigger signal from the scanner. How do I achieve this?
I don't want to register the pretend mouse click as a subject response, I
want to use the pretend mouse click to begin the presentation of each
stimulus

3) I was reading the chapter in the user guide on timing issues. It talks
about designing a callibration experiment to enable you to calculate a
scaling factor to adjust Eprime in cases where timing is absolutely
critical. I'm quite unclear on this, espec what sort of expt to devise

4) It also talks about sending a signal from Eprime to external monitoring
equipment to timestamp a synchronisation signal, but in an fMRI situation I
can send a signal from the scanner to Eprime, but am not sure I can send a
signal from Eprime to the scanner?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, so I'll thank you in
advance for any help you can give

Regards
rachel

Dr Rachel L. C. Mitchell
Lecturer in Cognitive Psychology, University of Reading
Honorary Research Fellow, Institute of Psychiatry

Correspondence Address:
School of Psychology
Whiteknights Road
University of Reading