Option Base 1 interferes with Sex Startup Info parameter

Stephen D. Benning benn0224 at umn.edu
Mon Mar 31 17:44:39 UTC 2003

I've found a wee issue with E-Prime's handling of Startup Info parameters
that involved the Choice mechanism.  In the User tab of my program, I've
set Option Base 1 to reflect the fact that all of my array begin with
element 1, not element 0.  However, when I start up E-Prime, I also need to
have information about the participant's sex encoded, which I've chosen to
do through the standard Sex attribute in the Startup Info.

Here's the problem.  When I run my program, I can enter the Subject and
Session attributes just fine, but when it comes time to enter the
participant's Sex, E-Prime bombs out, giving me a "subscript out of range"
error.  When I look back at the code E-Prime generated, I find that the Sex
choices were generated assuming Base 0 arrays, so that the option "male"
corresponds to entry 0 in the array and "female" corresponds to entry 1.
Therefore, I surmise that since I'm using Base 1, the program doesn't know
what to do with an entry 0, and ttinking it's an illegal option, it
promptly exits the program with an error.  I've tried using Option Base 1
anywhere else besides the User tab of the Script window (against the rules
set out by the documentation), which crashes the program (as the docs say
it should).

So, apart from me recoding everything back into Base 0 (ugh), is there a
way around this program? or is this a noisome limitation of E-Prime that
will hopefully be addressed in the next point release?  If it's a
limitation, I'd also love to see the following addressed, too: the
inability of E-Prime to resize the number of rows in a List box when one
copies different text files (with different numbers of rows) into a single
text file that a List box reads for information.  But that's a different
story...

Stephen Benning
75 East River Road
Office: N631