Problems playing Soundout object

Georg Odenthal odenthal at soz.psychologie.uni-konstanz.de
Fri Nov 14 16:59:47 UTC 2003

Hi Tony,

> I am having a problem using a soundout object - it won't play a
> sound if the filename isn't fixed. I am using E-Prime 1.1 SP3.
I'm going to send you ZIP Archive (in a separate email - because I
don't want to bother the other list members with unsolicited
attachments) with a small test program to show how to
use variable names for wave files in the sound object.

The program is a quick-and-dirty patch to remedy the problem that
obviously no variable filenames are allowed in any objects that can
load data from files (i.e. in lists or in graphic objects you also
have to use similar patches to use different files in different
conditions).

I didn't bother to enter variable durations for the sounds, but I hope
this is not an issue with your random sounds. If you need to have
variable sound lengths you could probably enter all the different
lengths in milliseconds into the List1 as second variable (besides the
name) and then set the duration manually with the SoundOut1.Duration
command.

I hope this'll fix your problem.

I'm not sure if the E-Prime objects are intended to load different
files in different conditions. E-Prime won't complain if you enter an
attribute in the Filename field, it just won't load it.

You can usually manipulate the files to load if you copy the whole
initialization procedure of a specific object from the E-Prime script
into an own inline script and then enter your variable filename into
the .setFilename method or the .Filename variable.

Best regards,
 Georg

Georg Odenthal (Dipl.-Psych.)             University of Konstanz
+49 (0)7531 88-2872                       Department of Psychology
odenthal at soz.psychologie.uni-konstanz.de  Social Psychology and Motivation
http://www.socpsych.uni-konstanz.de       78457 Konstanz, Germany