Text files

leisha leisha at decisionresearch.org
Wed Feb 11 17:03:23 UTC 2004

That's the beauty of slides in E-Prime, Dr. Pettibone. You can leave
your response scale on the screen, say in the bottom 40% of the screen,
devoting the top 60% to your stimuli. Just set the size of the stimulus
slide to 60% height and vertically align it at the top of the screen.
Make sure the slide with the rating scale on it is not set to clear
after, and it will stay where it is throughout the procedure, while the
stimulus changes above it.

I used to draw a slide or graphic display with my response scale on it,
then copy it so it would always be identical and not shift on the
screen, which I agree with you is shabby and distracting, but even then
the image could seem to flash as it was redrawn repeatedly. Finally I
worked out how to replace just what I need using slides. I learned when
to clear the screen & when not to so that subjects would see exactly
what the researcher wants them to see.

Regarding precise placement of elements on the screen, I've found it's
best to use percentages rather than fixed points, because those fixed
points will vary from monitor to monitor.

Leisha Wharfield
Production Coordinator
Decision Research
Eugene, Oregon, USA