Can Eprime work with Neuroscan?

Stephen D. Benning benn0224 at umn.edu
Tue Feb 24 14:55:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 08:01, Richard P. Heitz wrote:
> I'm using a neuroscan with E-Prime, and am having a problem with triggers
> getting through (I've posted this problem before).  I haven't found any
> remedies.  I randomly lose approximately 7% of all triggers.  Leon, if you
> end up having this problem too, I'd like to hear about it.

A few questions that might help debug your problem, listed in order of
decreasing probability:

1)  Do you have any statements of the variety (assuming that 0 is your
"hold value"):

	WritePort TriggerPort, 0
	WritePort TriggerPort, TriggerValue

or
	WritePort TriggerPort, TriggerValue1
	WritePort TriggerPort, 0
	WritePort TriggerPort, TriggerValue2

If so, it's likely that the port can't be consistently reset to the hold
value before the next trigger comes.  Therefore, you won't have
consistently occurring triggers.  To remedy this problem, you can use
code like this (if all else fails):

	WritePort TriggerPort, 0
	Sleep 1
	WritePort TriggerPort, TriggerValue

This will force E-Prime to pause for a millisecond to allow the hold
value to be written.  You may need to adjust program timing to account
for this 1 ms slop, though.

2)  Are you having more programs than just E-Prime running when you're
running your experiment?  IF so, Windows might be calling those programs
at unexpected times (though if this were the case, I'd expect to see
random pauses in the experiment altogether, rather than just trigger
dropping).

3)  Is the cable connecting your output port to the Neuroscan unit
firmly attached?  Sometimes flaky cable attachments can drift off at the
oddest times.

4)  Is your parallel port working consistently?  Likewise, is the
Neuroscan equipment EVER able to receive triggers consistently?  IF not,
you may have a hardware problem.

--
Stephen Benning
Office: N631 Elliott Hall