Getting response after stimulus has been cleared

Tony Zuccolotto anthony.zuccolotto at pstnet.com
Mon Jun 28 20:56:28 UTC 2004

Eddie,

I would recommend setting the Time Limit on the response input mask to
(infinite) but setting the Duration of the stimulus object to 6000ms (it
won't matter what type of object you are using - either a text or slide
display).   You should also set the Terminate option to Jump and specify
a label name as a jump destination.  Set Clear After = No e.g. rather
than having this object clear itself, you will use a second object to
clear the stimulus after the 6000ms expires.

You then need to add new object immediately after the stimulus object
that does NOT accept a response but which does have an infinite
Duration.   Sounds like you can just use another TextDisplay object with
its background color set to match that of the first object.  After this
object you then place your Label object.

The way this will work is if the response comes in within the 6000ms it
will be accepted and the system will skip the next object by jumping
over it to the label you have created.    If the response comes in after
6000ms then you will again jump to the label and thus terminate the
second object.   If no response comes in within the first 6000ms then
the first object will end and the second object will clear the stimulus
from the screen when it runs.

You should be able to setup this type of structure without using any
Inline script.

Hope that helps,
Tony

*** DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
REFLECT THOSE OF PSYCHOLOGY SOFTWARE TOOLS ***

Anthony P. Zuccolotto
Vice President and Chief Operations Officer
Psychology Software Tools, Inc.
2050 Ardmore Boulevard
Suite 200
Pittsburgh, PA 15221-4610