refresh cycles and LCD

David Hairston dhair at wfubmc.edu
Tue Nov 23 14:56:38 UTC 2004

Hey, I may know this one!
I believe that both of these problems stem from the same reason.  LCD
screens have a fixed, or "native", number of pixels, these days around
1024x768 or even 1280x1024 - they display an image by selectively
turning on (or not) each pixel. What this means is that if you have a
LCD that is 1024x768, and you select, say, 800x600 resolution, then this
can be resolved 1 of 2 ways. Generally the requested resolution is
interpolated across the native, so that in this case it is attempting to
make it look like there are only 4 pixels for every 5 or so.
Unfortunately this doesn't look so good.
The other solution is for the software to use only the central part of
the screen to illuminate 800x600 pixels, and say leave a black box
around it that is 124 on either side etc. Generally it seems that
E-prime will do the former, but on occasion we have had it do the latter
also, especially when using multiple displays or different display
drivers and so on.
CRTs don't do this b/c they don't have a "native" resolution, the pixel
size is determined by changing the number of stops that the electron gun
(or whatever you call that gizmo in there) makes as it steps across the
screen, painting line after line.

Just a hunch.

W. David Hairston
Neurobiology and Anatomy

Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Winston-Salem, NC 27157
(336) 716-4481 (lab)