How to present a random number?

sung0015 sung0015 at umn.edu
Wed Oct 6 23:26:14 UTC 2004

On 6 Oct 2004, Jordan Bigio wrote:
> Add another image or text object before the word (like a prime-target
> experiment). In the list, set that object to random presentation and to
> repeat (cycle) 20x to make 100 presentations of a random digit 5-9. I
think
> that should do it.
Thanks again. And sorry to bother you again. I got the random number
presentation part done. However, i am not sure how could I present this
random number before a word...it is not totall the same as a prime-target.
My prime and target are independent to each other. That is, a word stimulus
does not always have a same number with it all the time.

Basically what i need is :----

1. A random number shown (1 sec and then disappear)
2. A stimulus word shown (disappear after Ss make a response)
3. Ss makes another response about the number
4. Goes to Step 1 after step 3

My problem now is that I do not know ho to link my random number list to a
specific procedure.

How should I fix it?  Thanks a lot!

Yung-Chi Sung

> Jordan
>
> At 11:20 AM 10/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >Dear colleague:
> >
> >I have a simple question (not so simple for me). I have a task which
shows
> >single word each time (100 words). Now i want to add a random number
(from
> >5 to 9) right before each single word presents (number first, disappear,

> >and then the word). How should I do it? And, would the data file shows
> >which number were presented?
> >
> >Thank you so much!
> >
> >Yung-Chi Sung
> >
> >Center for Cognitive Science
> >University of Minnesota
> >Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
> >

> Jordan D. Bigio, B.A.
> Project Coordinator
> Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory
> Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
> Northwestern University
> 2240 N. Campus Dr., Frances Searle Building, Rm. 2-342
> Evanston, IL 60208
> Phone: 847-491-3647

Department of Educational Psychology
Center for Cognitive Sciences
Educational Development and Research, Office of Education, Medical School