How to present a random number?

Francisco Tornay ftornay at ugr.es
Fri Oct 8 12:43:09 UTC 2004

At 01:26 07/10/04, you wrote:
>On 6 Oct 2004, Jordan Bigio wrote:
> > Add another image or text object before the word (like a prime-target
> > experiment). In the list, set that object to random presentation and to
> > repeat (cycle) 20x to make 100 presentations of a random digit 5-9. I
>think
> > that should do it.
>Thanks again. And sorry to bother you again. I got the random number
>presentation part done. However, i am not sure how could I present this
>random number before a word...it is not totall the same as a prime-target.
>My prime and target are independent to each other. That is, a word stimulus
>does not always have a same number with it all the time.
>
>Basically what i need is :----
>
>1. A random number shown (1 sec and then disappear)
>2. A stimulus word shown (disappear after Ss make a response)
>3. Ss makes another response about the number
>4. Goes to Step 1 after step 3
>
>My problem now is that I do not know ho to link my random number list to a
>specific procedure.
>
>How should I fix it?  Thanks a lot!
>
>Yung-Chi Sung

So, you need a random number chosen independently of the word stimulus. The
simplest way is to add some code:

At the beginning of the procedure that shows the number and the word, add
an inline object and write this (you can copy-paste it from here)

c.setattrib "RandomNumber", random(5, 9)

After that ,you can use RandomNumber as a normal attribute written in a
list. That is, just write:

[RandomNumber]

as the text in the object that should display the number.

Besides, you would get a column called "RandomNumber" in your data file
showing all the presented random numbers trial by trial.