Windows XP SP2

Sudevan, Padmanabhan psudevan at uwsp.edu
Wed Oct 27 18:29:09 UTC 2004

Yes, at my university we have upgraded to Win XP SP2, and as regards
E-Prime, it has been smooth with one exception: We have had trouble with
locating files under Documents and Settings because of the permissions
structure on campus -- not all users are "administrators", as XP
conceives them, and this has limited ( in some complex ways ) users'
ability to access all files. PST's suggestion ( Sarah Burgess', actually
) was to place files in the root directory and this does solve the
problem. A more permanent solution might be to actually change the
permissions structure for E-Prime files by talking to the campus
"administrator".

Here's a related problem that shows that this issue is more general: In
my lab, we are just migrating to using E-Prime as the main system.
Although we have made occasional use of E-Prime by students developing
studies, our main experiment generator has for long been based on our
own custom-written software in Object-Oriented C for running all of our
research experiments. When we made the switch to Win XP this summer, the
Borland IDE which we used to develop our C programs became unusable.
But, as in the case of the E-Prime files, we followed PST's advice and
moved the IDE to the root directory and we can now use it again. Despite
this, there are many incompatibilities between Win 98/2000 and Win XP
with respect to screen representation, files, etc., and one of the
reasons we began to move toward E-Prime as our main system was the
existence of these difficulties. If anyone knows of a better way to
integrate an older compiler into the Win XP environment, I'd be most
grateful to hear about it

Sudevan

P Sudevan
Professor of Psychology