Randomise stimuli according to 2 criteria???

Anna Holmes a.holmes at uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 04:40:15 UTC 2004

Dear fellow E-Primers,

As an E-Prime rookie (with no scripting experience), I am hoping that someone may be able to help me.

I am trying to create a lexical decision priming task with 2 blocks of the following stimuli:
      Number of trials
     Condition Number
     Condition Name
     Correct response

      (ResponseType)

      12
     1
     Expected-related
     Yes (1)

      12
     2
     Expected-unrelated
     Yes (1)

      4
     3
     Unexpected-unrelated
     Yes (1)

      4
     4
     Unexpected-related
     Yes (1)

      12
     5
     Neutral
     Yes (1)

      44
     6
     Nonword
     No (2)

I understand that script can be written (e.g., samples - No Repeats; String Array to Populate List) such that the same type of stimulus condition is not presented on consecutive trials (e.g., another related word pair will not directly follow a related word pair).

However, I am trying to work out if I can randomise my stimuli according to 2 criteria:
  1.. That no condition occurs more than 3 times consecutively
  2.. That no single response type occurs more than 3 times consecutively (no more than 3 yes (or no) responses in a row)
I have chosen these two criteria because if I only randomise according to condition, it will likely result in strings of stimuli that require a 'yes' response as 5 of the 6 conditions call for the participant to respond 'yes'.

Hope my question is clear although reasonably complicated.

Look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks
Anna
Anna D Holmes. BSpPath(Hons)
Division of Speech Pathology
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
University of Queensland
QLD 4072 Australia
Phone: +61 7 3346 9726
Fax: +61 7 3365 1877