Randomise stimuli according to 2 criteria???

Leisha Wharfield leisha at decisionresearch.org
Thu Sep 16 16:33:48 UTC 2004

Dear Anna,

I've struggled with this question, too, in an experiment where we showed
smoking & food-related pictures and words. We didn't want more than two
stimuli in the same category (i.e., smoking-related image followed by
smoking-related image), yet the selection of the stimuli was random. Now
I think I would try to write a bit of script that would analyze the last
two stimuli and avoid choosing the same type three times in a row, but I
think that might result in a bunch at the end that would all be the
same, which may cause an error.

I'd be interested in other programmers' thoughts on this one.

Leisha Wharfield
Decision Research
Eugene, Oregon, USA