posting

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Mon Jan 17 01:12:37 UTC 2005

Paul et al.,
     Don't worry, as list maintainer, I have no intention of applying
any content censorship here.  Your point about free run-time licenses
or most accessible run-time usage is an interesting one.  PST does have
site-based run-time licenses for separate sites priced at $100, but I
am guessing you think that is too high.  Or are you concerned that it
is clunky in some other way?  When ClassMate becomes available (pretty
soon, I believe) it will have similar functionality at a reduced price.
  Perhaps that will address your needs in part. You seem to be pushing
for "royalty free runtime licensing" but you think that the ability to
compile executables would be even nicer.   I suppose there are some
technical issues in regard to the latter that make it tough.
    My own point of view on this, as designer and financial supporter of
first PsyScope and later E-Prime, is that software development is a
significant expense, particularly in a small niche market such as
Experimental Psychology.  Having a sophisticated system like E-Prime is
a positive for the field. Having even more powerful systems (check out
the list of features for E-Prime 2.0) would be even nicer.  At the same
time, we always want to make sure that marketing restrictions do not
impede the advance of research and creativity.
    Regarding ideas such as using MatLab as a replacement for E-Prime,
and the previous message about just programming stuff in Basic, I guess
this always depends on the programming skills of the individual, the
relative simplicity of the experiment, the amount of time one wants to
invest, and the level of error and other inaccuracies you are willing
to tolerate.
    In any case, I think it is fine to post discussions of alternatives
to this list.  If you browse through journals such as BRMIC, you will
occasionally find discussion of new programming systems and the like
there too.

--Brian MacWhinney, CMU