posting

Leisha leisha at decisionresearch.org
Mon Jan 17 04:09:57 UTC 2005

I work for a small, nonprofit institute. It is difficult for us to afford
high-level software like E-Prime, but when it's necessary, we can
sometimes write it into a grant proposal. Unfortunately, many of our
proposals are only partially funded. It's a difficult balancing act, and
we can only hope for better scientific funding in future and meanwhile
continue to work hard to acquire what we need to continue our important
research.

I think that the programmers at E-Prime are probably in much the same
position as I am as a programmer this small institute.

Since we started using E-Prime we have received several requests for the
scripts we've written. It's no problem for our friends & colleagues to
access our scripts for the purpose of criticism & review (although it
could be easier). When one colleague wished to go further, actually using
our script to obtain more data for our project, he bought a site license
for $100. This was good for our institute, allowing us to obtain more
data. We also use site licenses to run experiments in more than one local
lab simultaneously.

I've found many E-Prime scripts available on-line from various institutes,
and they've been helpful to me in developing experiments for our
investigators.

Over all, the arrangement we have now is working. Let's hope that more
funding comes pouring into scientific research from all directions,
allowing us all to breathe a little freer, loosen our belts, and share our
projects more easily.

Leisha Wharfield
Decision Research
Eugene, Oregon, USA

macw at mac.com wrote:
> Paul et al.,
>      Don't worry, as list maintainer, I have no intention of applying=20

> any content censorship here.	Your point about free run-time licenses=20

> or most accessible run-time usage is an interesting one.  PST does
have=20=

> site-based run-time licenses for separate sites priced at $100, but I=20

> am guessing you think that is too high.  Or are you concerned that it=20

> is clunky in some other way?	When ClassMate becomes available
(pretty=20=

> soon, I believe) it will have similar functionality at a reduced
price.=20=

>   Perhaps that will address your needs in part. You seem to be
pushing=20=

> for "royalty free runtime licensing" but you think that the ability
to=20=

> compile executables would be even nicer.   I suppose there are some
> technical issues in regard to the latter that make it tough.
>     My own point of view on this, as designer and financial supporter
of=20=

> first PsyScope and later E-Prime, is that software development is a=20
> significant expense, particularly in a small niche market such as=20
> Experimental Psychology.  Having a sophisticated system like E-Prime
is=20=

> a positive for the field. Having even more powerful systems (check
out=20=

> the list of features for E-Prime 2.0) would be even nicer.  At the
same=20=

> time, we always want to make sure that marketing restrictions do not=20
> impede the advance of research and creativity.
>     Regarding ideas such as using MatLab as a replacement for
E-Prime,=20=