custom response box

Kristie Willhoit kwillhoit at uwf.edu
Mon Jul 25 21:45:19 UTC 2005

Hello, all!  I wrote once before but I think I put too much info and maybe
no one wanted to read it all.  :-)  I'm using a custom-built 13-button
response box that communicates via a serial cable.  Each button transmits an
ASCII character: the letters a through n for button presses, and the letters
m through z for button releases.  Does anyone know how I can get this box to
act the same as a SRBox?  I need to use it as the object to collect reaction
and movement times as well as accuracy, and I would like the RT, MT,
accuracy, and responses to be written to the DataAid file.  I understand
that it "just takes a bit of script", but I have exceeded my knowledge of
the VBA language at this point.  Is there anyone willing to help me with the
script?

Also, I have read in the archives that it is easiest to do this type of
communication using parallel communication.  My supervisor has suggested
that we simply buy a serial-to-parallel adapter cable and use that to
connect the box to the computer instead.  Does anyone know if this would be
a good solution?

I would appreciate ANY feedback, thank you!

Kristie Willhoit

Research Associate

University of West Florida

Division of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science

11000 University Parkway

Building 78, Room 140

Pensacola, FL 32514

(850) 474-3321