Alternatives to SRBox for voice-trigger?

Ben Robinson BRobinso at mprc.umaryland.edu
Wed Jun 8 13:49:17 UTC 2005

i can't speak to the microphone issue, but in our lab we use a USB "Gravis Game Pad Pro", which looks just like a PlayStation controller.
you can find them on froogle for about $20.  you program the various buttons to mimic keyboard buttons, so when you design your eprime experiment you don't enable the response box device.  works like a charm.

ben robinson
research asst

>>> Christopher Maloof <cjm62 at georgetown.edu> 6/8/2005 9:31 AM >>>

Hello,

I have a question about people's experience using response boxes and
microphones with E-Prime.  My lab is considering using E-Prime for our
stimulus presentation programs; the only hurdle at this point is the
high cost of the PST Serial Response Box, for ourselves and for several
collaborators we share our experiments with.

Our experiments require precise timings for voice-trigger and
button-press input.  My question is, has anyone managed to use E-Prime
with hardware other than the PST SR Box, particularly for voice-trigger
input?  For instance, is it possible to use a standard microphone with
a good sound card for voice triggers, or a cheaper gamepad for button
input?

(PST tech support says such methods aren't supported, but I can't tell
if that means they're difficult/impossible or only that the company
prefers people to buy their hardware.)

Thanks for any ideas or insight!

Chris

--
Christopher J. Maloof, M.S.
Research Assistant, Brain and Language Lab