more e-prime/ psychophysiology integration

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 30 22:47:14 UTC 2005

Dear Ilya,

It’s a bit hard to cover all these topics completely in a single answer, so
let me focus on a few important issues:

Integrating BioPac and EPrime is not very different from most systems a have
encountered so far. In most cases two separate computers are being used: one
for running tests or stimulus software (i.e. EPrime), and one for data
acquisition (i.e. collecting data from BioPac.) In most cases the only link
between the two systems is a synchronization connection, which is typically
realized between the parallel printer port of the EPrime PC and the isolated
digital input lines of the BioPac hardware (i.e. the STP100C module.) I
think a suitable interface cable is also supplied with the current (new)
modules. The link between the two systems is one-way only and can only be
used to send up to eight digital signals from your EPrime script by using a
few simple lines of inline script. These 8 signals are available as 8
separate input signals in BioPac and can be viewed and stored just like any
other physiological signal. Because there are 8 independent signals
available it is possible to encode information (such as stimulus type) by
sending different numerical values to the printer port. In other words: the
8 lines can be view as a way to send and record event codes. To check for
any timing errors or delays we performed some tests in our lab. One of these
tests was a check to test for timing differences between the digital and the
analog signals. (This is very important for synchronization or event codes!)
The only thing we found out is that our STP100C (which is not exactly the
same as currently supplied) had slightly different electrical specs on the
first digital input line (the one which can also be used as trigger signal.)
  Although it should be possible to start data acquisition by activating the
trigger input (one of the 8 digital input lines), we typically start the
recording manually before starting the EPrime script. While running the
script, we just send sync. codes at relevant moments to the printer port to
take care of the event marking. (You could also include one ore more
instruction screens as part of the EPrime script to instruct how to
initialize and start a recording.) However, there is one type of event that
is not very trivial to encode during the recording: subject responses! This
is because you will have to take care of sending the proper codes at the
right moments yourself because EPrime currently doesn't support automatic
forwarding of such events. (Version 2 hopefully does!)

Because the communication between the two systems is limited to a few
one-way digital lines, it is not possible to use any information about the
physiological signals at runtime in your EPrime script. (I.e. biofeedback is
not an option.) You will probably use the digital markers during the
analysis phase of the physiological data to select relevant fragments of the
recording. Unfortunately the BioPac analysis software doesn’t have proper
tools to automate such analysis procedures, so you will have to process a
lot of the data manually, or convert the data to other analysis packages.
Anyway, in most cases you will only merge EPrime output and physiological
data after preprocessing the raw signals to extract the desired information
(such as average heart rate during a specific period.)

hope this is of any help
Paul Groot