Staircase procedure in E-prime

Bronwyn Glaser bronwyn.glaser at medecine.unige.ch
Tue Nov 8 14:10:01 UTC 2005

Hello, I designed a task that may be useful to you. The subject
needed to differentiate between the length of two stimuli, the second
of which automatically adjusted in terms of the first (a stimuli that
was always 4000ms long) in order to find a time threshold for the
participant. In my experiment, there are two blocks that randomly
alternate, one that is for the stimuli less than 4000 and the other
for the stimuli greater than 4050. Here is an example of the script
in the procedure for the stimuli greater than 4050:

Below I have pasted some script that may be useful to you:
'If answer is right, decrease Stimulus time on next trial by 50ms
If Response. ACC=1 and x>4050 Then
	x=x-50
'If answer is right and x already =4050, keep x the same
ElseIf Response.ACC=1 and x=4050 Then
	x=4050
'If answer is wrong, increase Stimulus time on next trial by 50ms
Else
	x=x+50
End If

With this script, you will need to declare the x globally and reset
the attribute for stimulus time equal to x for each trial.

I hope this helps,
Bronwyn Glaser