FW: Staircase procedure in E-prime

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:55:44 UTC 2005

Hi Rachel,

You might take a look at the so called Inspection Time test (IT-test), which
I developed some time ago. In this test two vertical lines of different
length are draw very briefly. The shorter line is masked after a variable
delay by making both lines equal in length.  Participants are instructed to
choose the longest. The masking delay is increased or decreased in steps of
50 milliseconds by applying a staircase procedure. I don’t have the details
of the algorithm available right now, but it is a bit more complex than just
increasing or decreasing according to the latest response accuracy. You can
download it from http://www.psy.vu.nl/download/menu/
The version on this web-site was developed to test children, so we added
some fancy feedback (a growing stack of bubbling fishes.)

cheers,
Paul