Color Question

James Intriligator j.intriligator at bangor.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 17:37:50 UTC 2005

Lena -->  one thing worth keeping in mind is that different
monitors/computers will display (255,255,0) very differently.
  An easy way to see this is to try displaying the same thing on:
  - a CRT monitor
  - a CRT monitor that has the brightness/contrast turned way down
  - an LCD monitor seen "straight on"
  - an LCD monitor seen "from the side"
You may find that each one will appear very different.
For many experiments this will not matter too much.

BUT, if you are worried about it, you have 3 options:
  (1) trial and error:  just try different values and find the one that
looks like what you want.
  (2) What I have done in the past is to have the program draw/label lots of
different variants at the same time.  For example:  have it draw a 10 by 10
grid of coloured squares where changes on the x-axis are changes in red
(235, 237, 239,...255) and changes on the y-axis are changes in green (235,
237, 239,...255).   So the bottom-left square would be:  (235,235,0) and the
top-right would be (255,255,0). You should be able to find one of these 100
choices that looks like what you want.
  (3) you could get very nerdy and calibrate your monitor.  This may require
you to make measurements, estimate gammas, create lookup tables, and other
complex things.

  **** I wonder if anyone in e-prime world has addressed colour calibration
stuff?  Anyone willing to share?

  -james

On 14/9/05 06:18, "Richard P. Heitz" <gte016z at mail.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Yes, that's an RGB value.  And, I just checked to be sure - 255, 255, 0
> appears to be a pretty bright yellow.
>
> Katz, Lena B. wrote:
>> I'm playing around with Ccolor, and when I put in (255,255,0), i don't see a
>> true yellow.  Does anyone know if this is in RGB?  Or am I perhaps using the
>> wrong scale entirely?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Lena

James Intriligator, PhD
Senior Lecturer

School of Psychology - Experimental Consumer Psychology
University of Wales - Bangor
Brigantia Building - Room 328
Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2AS
Wales, UK