Eprime - Coherent Motion Stimuli?

James Intriligator j.intriligator at bangor.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 17:56:01 UTC 2005

Hello ePrime-ers.
  I am getting ready to do some coherent-motion experiments (description
below)
  In the past I have written stuff in c to generate these stimuli (on a Mac)
  Now, for various reasons, I am considering trying to do them in ePrime.
   I am either going to be brave and try to have ePrime generate these
on-the-fly OR I might have to have ePrime create a series of BMP files
(before each trial) and then have them shown like a flipbook in the trial.
  Questions:
  (a) anyone tried this before?
  (b) Any source-code you might be willing to share?
  (c) any other thoughts/advice?

 thanks in advance,
   james

Coherent-motion displays:
  imagine you have 1000 dots moving on the screen ‹ if 500 are moving
³coherently² to the right, and the other 500 are moving in random
directions, then this is said to be ³50% coherent to the right².  If 200
dots are moving to the left and the remaining 800 are moving in random
directions then this is ³20% coherent leftward².

James Intriligator, PhD
Senior Lecturer

School of Psychology - Experimental Consumer Psychology
University of Wales - Bangor
Brigantia Building - Room 328
Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2AS
Wales, UK