Jumps, labels and input masks

Rachel Mitchell r.l.c.mitchell at reading.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 17:21:39 UTC 2006

Hi Leisha

In the trial procedure line, there are separate slides straight after each
other (1.5sec each) for 25% intensity, 50%, 75%, 100%, 125% and 150%.
Participants are instructed to press the appropriate response key as the
emotion evolves, as soon as they've made their mind up.
Theoretically participants could have made their decision during any of
these slides, so each one is programmed to jump to label1 following a
response.
Label1 is positioned at the end of the trial procedure line.
After this is a 1.5sec wait screen for my ISI.
The programme then goes back to the trial list (there is a single trial list
on the session procedure line, with no block lists) and randomly selects
another trial/series.

I just tried making the response time infinite for the 150% screen to force
them to respond, but I got the same error after a while (although at least
the programme got a little further this time!).

Someone kindly suggested the problem was because the jump command didn't
know what to do if participants didn't respond - and suggested I try and
incorporate a feedback screen, remove all text from it, and set the input
object name to the stimulus.
I tried setting it to the last screen (the 150%), but this didn't work (I'm
not quite sure I was interpreting their suggestion correctly though, or that
I had described my task sufficiently).

This task is being used for a patient study and we have so little time left
I am very grateful to those who have responded.
Does the further description above give you any ideas Leisha?

With best wishes
Rachel

Dr Rachel L. C. Mitchell.
Lecturer in Cognitive Psychology, University of Reading.
Honorary Research Fellow, Institute of Psychiatry.
Research Psychologist, Berkshire Healthcare NHS Trust.

Correspondence Address:
School of Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences,
Whiteknights Road
University of Reading
Reading
Berkshire