Displaying and collecting responses from two objects at the same time

Joseph Williams joseph.williams at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 9 12:00:54 UTC 2006

I am modifying an experiment where two objects are used at the same time.
One is a soundout object that plays a tone and then collects the timed
response to that tone (it lasts for about two seconds). The other is either
a textdisplay or slide object that shows a word for 200-500 msecs. The way
the program is set up now it's not possible to show the text (using either a
textdisplay or a textdisplay on a slide object) and play the tone (using a
soundout object), at exactly the same time.

For the tone to collect a response over a period of 2000 msecs it seems that
the duration of the soundout object has to be set to be 2000 msecs (I may be
wrong here), so if the tone is played first the textdisplay will only be
shown after 2000 msecs. Similarly if the textdisplay is loaded first (e.g.
for 200 msecs) the tone is delayed by 200 msecs. If the textdisplay is
loaded on a slide (with duration 0 msecs) and then the tone is loaded as a
soundout object at the same time, there isn't a way to clear the text from
the screen after 200 msecs. If I put both the textdisplay and the soundout
object in the same slide, I could use the slide to collect the response to
the tone, except that then there's no way to clear the word after 200 msecs.

There are some ratches I tried to get this to work, but they're not
completely satisfactory. It seems to be a natural thing to use two objects
at the same time or to use two objects in overlapping time intervals,
without having to load them sequentially- the sequential loading means that
an object cannot be loaded while another object is still in action. Is there
a way to use both a soundout object and a textdisplay (or slide) object at
the same time, without forcing the loading of one of these objects to wait
until the other's duration has been completed?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph Williams