counterbalancing blocks/tasks, randomizing the words over the blocks and masks

Suzanne Bakkum sbakkum at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 19:55:06 UTC 2006

Thanks so much Ben, you've been a tremendous help!
I have a few questions, I adjusted some things in the file you sent me. The
background masks are in a bmp format, so I changed the link to the pictures,
I think that went ok.

Weight Nested    Procedure word   contrast    correctage correctcontrast
4         oldwords  trialproc    [old]    laag.bmp    o                  l
4         oldwords  trialproc    [old]    hoog.bmp   o                  h
4         newwords trialproc    [new]  laag.bmp    n                  l
4         newwords trialproc    [new]  hoog.bmp   n                  h

And I made a slide to put the picture in and the text [word], in the
'filename' box of the picture I put [contrast], it's all working. I'm so
happy.

My question is, can I counterbalance the block tasks
(contrasttask-oldnewtask-contrasttask etc.) so that the subject never gets
the same task as in the previous block?
And once a word (from the total of 144 words) has been presented it must not
be presented ever again(not in another block). Is it possible to change the
settings so that there will be no repetition of words and still be a random
selection (this is per subject of course)?

When that's fixed, the computer task is ready for experimentation :)

Thanks so much for all the help!
Greetings,
Suzanne Bakkum