Mulitple lists single procedure

Leisha Wharfield leisha at decisionresearch.org
Wed Feb 22 17:50:46 UTC 2006

Hi, Eddie,

When I need to call out multiple lists I usually embed them in the
master list, then call out the embedded lists from a dummy list later in
the procedure. That way I can be sure that my items that need to be
associated with each other always are--in other words, if a subject sees
a scenario, then gets a distraction task, then is presented with memory
items related to the scenario, the memory items are associated with
their scenario in the master list.

If you want to pull randomly from the same list of control objects for
every item in your master list, I think I would do it this way (I'm sure
other people will chime in if there's another more efficient way. Also
I'm not looking at any of my experiment files right now, I'm writing
this from memory, so please excuse me if I miss any details):

You'll have a slide that presents a control object, right? Call the
variable CO; embed it on the slide using brackets: [CO]. You need random
items from a list called ControlList, say. Create a column in your
master list called ControlItem. The source of the ControlItem for each
line in your list is ControlList. Within ControlList is the object that
you need, under the column CO (or whatever you choose to call it, but
make sure you have a column in the ControlList that matches the
attribute name you assigned to your control objects and have embedded in
your slide).

When you need the control object, eprime sees that CO item in the
ControlItem list that's associated with your master list. This is one
way to get your unreferenced E-objects recognized in the procedure, so
that their attributes exist--create a connection to the control-object
list via the master list.

Can you reference two lists in one procedure? Yes, you can reference
many lists in one procedure.

Good luck,

Leisha Wharfield
Decision Research