E-prime in Japan

Eddie Dubourg eddie at ling.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 18 14:44:34 UTC 2006

 As far as I'm aware, E-prime doesn't handle multi-byte fonts (e.g.
Japanese) very well.

When constructing a script in japanese, I use Word and Arial Unicode to make
the sentences, and then Paint Shop Pro (or Print Screen and Paint, for a
free alternative) to grab screenshots, and use picture stimuli instead of
text stimuli.  This is the same technique I used with Psyscope - 1.2.2 under
OS9.x used to whimper if Greek fonts were used, but I digress...

A bit of a hassle, but it works well here (and as here is Linguistics rather
than Psychology, it's not too unusual...).  If anyone has a better way, I'm
all ears....

V2 of E-prime is meant to address this issue..