Slide simultaneously displaying 2 stimuli from 2 independant lists

Christel Devue cdevue at ulg.ac.be
Tue Jan 24 09:54:06 UTC 2006

Dear E-prime users,

I'm trying to display a slide composed on each trial of a different face
and of a pair of different numbers.
The faces have to be different in each trial and randomly appear on the
right (half of them) or on the left (the other half). These faces have
to appear in a particular sequential order. Regarding the numbers, there
are 4 kinds of pairs and they have to appear in a random order.
The subject's task is to respond to numbers while ignoring the face.

Thus, the point is that one face and one pair of numbers have to appear
on the screen AT THE SAME TIME (and same duration).
To do so, I have tried to make a list, let's say 'DisplaySlide List',
with 2 Nested lines, to obtain a sublist for faces and another for numbers.
Then, I insert a Slide in the TrialProc (defined in the DisplaySlide
list, and I've even tried it with a higher order additional list)
appealing a face AND a pair of numbers from the two sublists. But it
does not work.
When I try to run the experiment, I obtain an error message (saying that
it cannot find one column refering to either a face or a number).
Nevertheless, I know that there is no problem with each idenpendant
sublist (because a made 2 scripts with each one in order to check, and
each of them work as i want).

As I can understand, Nested Lists make the different items within the
different lists appear sequentialy. So I think, this is not the good way
to make the face and the numbers appear at the same time. But i do not
know the right way to do it.
However, I think I had to make these two different lists for faces and
for numbers because they have different particularities and have to be
independant from each other.

So my question is: How can I present two kinds of stimuli controlled by
two idenpendant lists at the same time?

Hope my question is not too messy. Thank you in advance for your help!
Best,

Christel Devue
University of Liege, Belgium