Keypress

Tony Zuccolotto anthony.zuccolotto at pstnet.com
Mon Jun 12 15:30:31 UTC 2006

Jeff,

OK, shouldn't be too bad.

1. Double click the Experiment object and navigate to the Devices tab.
2. Edit the properties of the Keyboard device and change the Collection
Mode from Presses Only to Presses and Releases.
3. Create a TextDisplay object at the start of your trial procedure and
use it to tell the subject to press and hold the '1' key.
4. Add a Keyboard input mask to the TextDisplay and set its Allowable
property to "1" which will indicate you will allow only a Press of the
'1' key.
5. Set the Duration property to "(infinite)" and the End Action to
Terminate.
6. Follow this first TextDisplay with a second TextDisplay.
7. On the second TextDisplay set the Duration to 1000, add a Keyboard
input mask and set the End Action to Terminate.  I'd also use this
object to change the instruction text to something like 'Good. Continue
holding until the trial begins...'
8. Set the Allowable property to '{-1}' to indicate you only want to
accept a Release on the 1 key.
9. After the second TextDisplay insert an Inline that uses and
If-statement to check the RT property of the second TextDisplay.   If
the user was still holding down the key when you got into the Inline
then the TextDisplay.RT property should be 0.  If they released the key
before 1 second elapsed then TextDisplay.RT should be some value 0 < x
<= 1000.
10. At this point you know what happened and you can decide what to do
next.

There are variations on this model you can do in the Inline depending on
how closely you need to control what the participant does exactly, but I
think this should get you pretty close to what you desire.

Hope that helps,
Tony