Serial port / Serial Response Box problems

Jennifer Thompson jennifer.thompson at man.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 16:04:39 UTC 2006

Dear E-Prime list,

I have a laptop that does not have a serial port (like most), but which I
would like to use to collect data using E-Prime and a SRB.  I purchased a
PCMCIA serial port adaptor, which adds two serial ports to the machine.  I
chose this method as it looked like the timing would be a lot more reliable
than a USB serial port add on.  However, this set up isn't working with the
SRB.  Experiments will run, but no responses are detected from the SRB.

When the PCMCIA card it attached to the laptop the two COM ports are listed
on the laptops settings and they can be configured individually.

Has anyone used a similar set up?  I'd be very grateful for some guidance on
whether this is going to work and how to configure the ports.  I can give
more detail if necessary.

This is the PCMCIA card I bought:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47115&criteria=PCI%20SERIAL%20LAPTOP&doy=12m6

Thanks for reading,