synchronized trigger and stim presentation

Yisheng Xu yxu at CNBC.CMU.EDU
Tue Jun 20 15:03:27 UTC 2006

Attached a program for testing the auditory and visual stimulus delay
using MEG. We tested the delays on an Electa Neuromag VectorView system.
The trigger signal was sent from a computer parallel port (address &H378)
to the MEG trigger box with a customized DB37-DB25 adaptor cable. The
auditory signal (a 100 ms 400 Hz pure tone) was sent from the computer
sound card to the MEG system and measured by a microphone connected to an
ER-5A ear insert. The visual signal was projected by a Panasonic PT-D7700U
DLP projector to a translucent screen. The projector was connected to the
computer VGA port. The refresh rate of the graphic card (Intel 910GL) was
set to 60 Hz. A photodiode was fixed with a sucking disk to the center of
the screen to measured the luminance of a repeated 100-ms flash sginal
presented by the program. Both the microphone and the photodiode (with
internal preamplifiers) were connected to the miscellaneous channels of
MEG. In this way, we can accurately measure the auditory and visual delays
relative to the trigger signal in an accuracy of 0.1 millisecond.

E-Prime FAQ recommends to use StimDisplay.OnsetSignalData to synchronize
the trigger with the stimuli. Ideally, we may use a slide object to send
auditory and visual stimuli together with the parallel trigger. The major
problem of this method is the visual stimuli is not displayed at the
actual onset of the slide object although E-Prime has a function to
synchronize the image with the vertical blank of display. In this simple
setup, the measured audiotory delay is 3-4 ms depending on the sound card;
The measured visual delay is 20-30 ms depending on the graphic card and
refresh rate. Using our hardware setup, for an unknown reason (maybe due
to the native refresh rate of the DLP projector), refresh rates other than
60 Hz (e.g., 75 Hz, 85 Hz) will generate an inter-trial jitter of the
visual delay, i.e., the delay of the visual signal varies among trials. As
a result, the averaged luminance function will show a sloped onset and
offset and the refresh cycles will be smeared. For the timing requirment
of EEG/MEG, a fixed delay is necessary. At a 60 Hz refresh rate, the onset
and offset of the measured luminance function are very sharp. The refresh
cycles can also be clearly identified. On some slow computers, interrun
timing variations were also observed besides the intertrial variation,
i.e., we may observe different averaged delays in different runs even
though no intertrial variation at 60 Hz.

Because we're doing some multisensory integration study, the
sychronization between auditory, visual and trigger signals is critical.
The attached program using the DisplayDevice.WaitForVerticalBlank method
and Sleep statement to adjust the timing delay. We achieved a measured
auditory delay of -0.1 ms and a measured visual delay of 0.5 ms. The
reason that the values are not exactly zeros is because the operating
system (DirecX) only allow for integral millisecond increments (for the
Sleep statement). The interrun variation is less than 0.1 ms.