Error 11009: Drawing error during E-Run

Sudevan, Padmanabhan psudevan at uwsp.edu
Mon Mar 13 16:19:04 UTC 2006

This is a note on a problem we had in my lab regarding an error message
that we encountered: Error 11009: A drawing error, with the code
0x887601c2.

We were having E-Run crash in the middle of an experiment occasionally
and this was the error that showed up. Initially, PST thought this might
be due to video card problems or even network routines polling the lab
machines and using video card resources. However, I tried a simpler
approach and tried to make the intermittent error replicable by running
myself in the experiment and pressing keys and key combinations at
random on each trial and in between trials. Sure enough, the drawing
error came up when I hit either of the Windows keys on each side of the
space bar, next to the ALT keys ( these are Dell Optiplex GX 280
machines bought for the lab last summer ). The error could be elicited
reliably and consistently on each of the four machines in the lab. So my
subjects were accidentally hitting the Windows key, when they were
trying to hit the keys defined as response keys ( N and M ).

PST knew about this problem and pointed me in the direction of an
E-Prime Support Note:

                                    INFO: How to avoid accidental
pressing of special keys (Windows Key, Ctrl+E...
<http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/kb.asp?TopicID=1371> .

The third-party routine that will block the Windows keys is called
WinKeyKill. Has anyone on this list actually used this routine? I'd like
to know how well it works.

Cheers,

Sudevan

P Sudevan