XP Start Menu trick

Leisha Wharfield leisha at decisionresearch.org
Fri Mar 31 19:04:30 UTC 2006

I'm beginning to think that this maillist is not where I saw the trick.
We're using one that I think is a bit advanced for our research
assistants. I know there is a more superficial way that does not involve
asking several inexpert users to run msconfig, but I can't find it.

In the meantime, here's the procedure we are using, from our wonderful
computer geek, Mike Daniels:

"The built in method for turning off startup items is to go to
    > Start
    > Run
    > type in "msconfig"
    > click OK
    > choose startup tab
    > click deselect all
    > click apply
    > click OK to restart.

When the PC restarts it won't have extra things running in the
background. A reminder comes up telling you that the startup has been
altered. It looks complicated, but it goes pretty fast.

Mike"

Leisha