Synchronizing with Trigger Signal from MRI Scanner

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Fri May 12 08:30:45 UTC 2006

hello hilke,

In most cases fMRI-trigger signals are sent as a digital TTL-pulse, which
can be detected by EPrime by using the parallel printer port (LPT port). The
technique used by EPrime to collect trigger pulses is the same as collecting
button box responses. You can find a description of this technique at
http://www.psy.vu.nl/download/menu.  Anyway, you can synchronize your
stimuli with these triggers by placing an EPrime wait object (or a blank
text screen if you prefer) immediately before the image object. Then add the
input device (probably a Port device) to the ‘Input mask device’ list
(Duration/Input tab) and set the ‘Duration’ to Infinite and the ‘End Action’
to Terminate. When you use another input device type for collecting the
trigger pulses (such as an SRBox device), then you should add this specific
device to the list instead of the Port device. In some cases it is also
advisable to configure the ‘Allowable’ property to the specific code you’re
using (i.e. ‘5’)

Note that there will always be a small image onset delay error due to the
asynchronous nature of the triggers. This is because the image is normally
not shown before the next refresh cycle of the beamer/monitor after a
trigger has occurred. When your script is configured properly then this
onset error should always be less then the refresh interval time and will
not be a problem in fMRI studies.

Best,
Paul.

Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam