clarification on counterbalancing question

Susan G. Campbell scampbell at casl.umd.edu
Thu Nov 2 14:45:28 UTC 2006

You can do this if you have all of the stimuli in the same list (a row
for 1, 2, etc.) that's nested within your presentation list, and then
pick which column is chosen from in the presentation list (a, b, etc.).
You can randomize both lists to get randomization of the rows and
columns, or you could present one or the other sequentially to get 1,2,3
or a,b,c.

A STEP script that does this is the one replicating Lukatela and
Turvey's 1994 priming experiments (either version should work).  It has
all of the primes listed in a single list, and then picks the kind of
prime when it randomizes.  The subject wouldn't see a target more than
once, but the type of prime they see with each target is randomized, as
well as the order of the targets.

Hope this helps,

Susan

Susan Campbell