spatial alternation task

De Brito, Stephane Stephane.DeBrito at iop.kcl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 12:41:34 UTC 2006

Dear e-prime experts,

I am a novice in the e-prime world and would need a bit of help. I am working on a spatial alternation task (Blair et al., 2006, Neuropsychology, Vol 20, No 2, pp.153) but have difficulties implementing it.

Task description:

the participant sees 2 red cars on each side of the screen and has to figure out which one is baited with a £20 note. The participant task is to learn  that the side behind which the £20 note is located is being alternated after each correct response. After each correct response, a £20 note appear on the screen on the side selected.

On the first trial, both sides are baited with a £20 note (so both responses are correct). For the 2nd trial the £20 note is located behind the side not chosen on the 1st trial. On each subsequent trial following a correct response, the other side is baited. After incorrect response, the £20 note remains on the same side until the participant makes a correct response.

My questions are:

1)Is it possible to have 2 correct answer on the 1st trial? If yes, does it have to be implemented with a script or can it be done with the e- studio interface?

2) I know that for this paradigm I need to use contingent branching and a "Do While" or "Do Until" loop in the script. I have read the manual and tried different scripts, but without success. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Best,

stephane

Stephane De Brito, PhD student

Institute of Psychiatry

King's College London

Forensic Mental Health Science Department

Box P023

De Crespigny Park

Denmark Hill

London SE5 8AF