spatial alternation task

Leisha Wharfield leisha at decisionresearch.org
Tue Nov 14 17:30:04 UTC 2006

Hi, Stephane,

I can't get "Do While" or "Do Until" scripts to work for me, either,
despite studying the syntax and getting help from people here. I don't
know why they don't work, even when I just copy examples.

So the first Slide is the introductory Slide where both responses are
correct, so it is always the same. That's easy. Just include either the
Left or Right response as Allowable in the Slide object properties and
make the Slide terminate when an allowable response is entered. After
that Slide, you want to get the Response via an Inline object and use it
to set up the next slide, right? I would use an If, because they work
for me.

So that if Slide1.RESP is Left (or whatever the Left response is), Then
    Slide2.CRESP or Correct Response = Right (or whatever the Right
response is).
    Draw the £20 on the Right side of the Slide2 screen

ElseIf Slide2.RESP is Right, Then
    Slide2.CRESP = Left
    Draw the £20 on the Left side of Slide2 screen

EndIf, with this Inline Object followed by a Label and then Slide2.

After Slide2 I would have another Inline Object that gets Slide2.CRESP,
& another If

If Slide2 response is correct, Then
    Change correct response
    Draw £20 on the other side of the screen
EndIf

Goto the Label before Slide2 (because no change is made if the subject
is wrong, right?)

The two other things you would need in this Inline Object is first,
writing your data to a text file or into your e-data file (I put time
stamps in to make sure my response times are accurate), since I think if
you don't do this you will only get the data from the last time you run
Slide2; and second, you will need some way out of this Iffy loop. How
does it end? After a certain number of trials, or after a certain number
of correct answers, or after a certain amount of time? I don't know, but
you will need to establish some attribute that keeps track of that
number & check it after each run of Slide2 in the Inline Object that
occurs after Slide2 so that you can exit gracefully at the end of the task.

Other people on the list will tell you a better way to do this; they may
even give you a Do While that works.

Leisha Wharfield
Decision Research
Eugene, Oregon, USA