Sending triggers: how to best invoke them?

Fabrizio Ferri Benedetti Fabrizio.Ferri at uv.es
Mon Oct 2 10:19:11 UTC 2006

Hi all!

Now that I've discovered how to send triggers, I'm trying to figure out
the best way to place them inside the experiment. Placing small InLine
scripts with a "WritePort" call is a straightforward, but unsatisfying
solution, due to the delay between the InLine processing and the OnSet
of the stimulus.

Apparently, placing an InLine with OnSet instructions just before the
target object, would do part of the trick (see E-Basic help for the
RteRunnableInputObject.OnsetSignalEnabled property). But what if I want
to send triggers when a subject answer? I've read a message of Paul
Groot, posted not so long ago
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0605d&L=eprime&D=1&P=670)
but I wonder whether waiting for a slide to terminate is reliable or not
for timing issues. Could I profit the OffSet instructions instead? I'll
try...

Another mystery is what trigger generates a specific colour in the EEG
software. The user manual of the amplifier is silent about this detail.
And I don't think there is an ISO standard out there for EEG colour
coding, isn't it?

Cheers,

     Fabrizio Ferri Benedetti
     University of Valencia