Sending triggers (again): how to best invoke them for a response in an oddball paradigm?

J Scott Saults saultsj at missouri.edu
Sat Oct 28 16:39:10 UTC 2006

Sorry, but in spite of detailed explanation by Brandon Cernicky and some
study and experimenting with the ProcessResponsesTemplate.es, I STILL do not
have a good solution for sending triggers in a particular variation of an
Oddball paradigm with repeated stimuli. In this experiment, each stimulus (a
picture) is presented for 1 s, followed by a 1 s ISI with a blank screen,
and a single response, made during the stimulus presentation or the
following ISI, is collected for each stimulus. I want to send a
response-dependent code to the parallel port at the time of the response. I
want the timings to remain constant, 1 s stimulus display, 1 s ISI,
regardless of when the response occurs.

The ProcessResponsesTemplate.es seems designed for situations when the input
mask is set to collect multiple responses, since the code within the
IsPending loop never executes for a single, or the last, response. Of
course, I could invoke a writePort after the IsPending loop for a single
response. However, I cannot figure out where to put an inline, with a
writePort, without interrupting or changing display durations, when I want
the response interval to include the 1 s stimulus presentation and the
following 1 s ISI. At first, I thought I could put the inline after the ISI,
if I set the prerelease of the ISI and the prerelease of the stimulus equal
to their respective durations, but this doesn't seem to work.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, from Brandon or anyone else.

Best regards,
J Scott Saults