Biopac markers and triggers

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 09:29:00 UTC 2006

hi tony,

BioPac only supports recording of a set of digital input lines. The required
digital signals can be generated by sending 8-bit values to the parallel
printer port. Since BioPac records each bit as a separate channel, it is
custom to use values that are a power of two to mark specific events. A
related post is available at the list server:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0501d&L=eprime&P=219

Automatically starting acquisition (i.e. triggering) is just a matter of
connecting and activating the correct digital line. I think BioPac currently
offers a special EPrime compatible cable, which can be connected between the
printer port and the STP100. (Note sure if this cable supports the trigger
line. You could connect the trigger input with one of the other digital
inputs [d8..d15] though.)

Note that the digital input channels are unrelated to the textual ‘Markers’
that are used in AcqKnowledge to mark events. You will require special
offline software to translate the digital channels to biopac markers.
(Although I don’t think those markers are very useful because AcqKnowledge
doesn’t offer much functionality such as conditional epoching or averaging
by using event markers.)

best,
Paul Groot

Vrije Universiteit van Amsterdam