How to send signals from E-Prime through the serial port (COM1, etc)

Fabrizio Ferri Benedetti Fabrizio.Ferri at uv.es
Sat Sep 30 13:03:20 UTC 2006

Hi all (first post here)!

I've discovered how to send signals through the serial port (not the
parallel port). It comes in handy, as certain devices - such as the
Neuronic EEG amplifier - use serial port as well as parallel port. What
you need to do is the following:

- In "Experiment Object Properties", under "Devices", add and leave
checked both "Serial" and "Port" devices.
- In "PortDevice Properties" window, change the address to &H03F8 (which
is the hardware address of the COM1 port)
- Use "WritePort &H03F8, 1" (or another number after the colon) to send
signals through the COM1 port).

I wonder if one could do the same with USB ports. Anyway, if you google
for "Serial Port Monitor", "Sermon.exe" or "Parmon" you'll find several
nifty applications that will help you to check the status of serial and
parallel ports. Another easy way to check the ports output is to use
DEBUG.EXE, an old app from the MS-DOS days. After executing the command,
you can use this syntax:

- o <PORT> <CODE>

For example, with "o 3F8 1" you will send the "1" command from the COM1
port. And just to spice up this mail a little, let me recommend you a
nice document about E-Prime tips and tricks, downloadable here:

http://pissaro.soc.huji.ac.il/~leon/Lab/EPrimeTools/Eprime%20Tips%20and%20Tricks.doc

Cheers!

   Fabrizio Ferri Benedetti
   University of Valencia