E-prime not recording all responses

jlozito at email.unc.edu jlozito at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 9 00:13:14 UTC 2007

Hi all:
I am currently using E-prime to make a program that presents two tasks
at the same time. I have finished making the program, and it presents
the two tasks perfectly fine, just as I want them to. This part has
also worked in three other versions. The problem is that, unlike the
other versions, this program is designed to record different responses
for each task at the same time. The first task requires participants to
give a verbal response and is recorded by the voice key, and the second
task requires participants to give button presses on the computer
keyboard. Participants are presented with both tasks at the same time
and respond to both tasks at roughly the same time. On most trials, the
program seems to be recording both responses. However, this is not
always the case. On some trials (sometimes as many as 1/3 of all
trials), the voice key is not recording any response at all. I can't
for the life of me figure out why it isn't.

Here's a quick runthrough of how the program is set up: first, a
stimulus is presented for a duration of 0 ms, with the length set up at
2500 ms. The other stimulus is presented with a duration of 2500 ms.
(The 0 ms duration of the first task is so that there is no delay in
presenting the stimulus for the second task). All data logging is
turned on, and like I said on most trials, it is capable of recording
both responses.

There are a number of possibilities as to why it isn't recording
properly, many of which I have been able to rule out (at least I think
I have). (1) The microphone isn't working properly. I have the
sensitivity turned up the maximum level (which doesn't seem to be
helping very much). Also, I have another version of the program in
which they just do the first task by itself, and that picks up every
single response, without fail. (2) Participants are just not responding
on every trial. I keep records of this, and no participant has failed
to make a verbal response on any trial. (3) Participants are moving
away from the microphone, or their voice level is dropping. I monitor
them like a hawk, and don't notice any drop in voice volume, or
shifting around. I can't rule this out with 100% certainty, but I see
nothing that leads me to believe this is going on. Along these lines, I
have also run myself through the program as a participant. I never
moved my mouth more than 1 inch from the microphone, spoke loudly, and
on every trial. And it still failed to record 6% of my trials for the
task. The final thing to mention is that there seems to be neither
rhyme nor reason to if and when it fails to record a trial. I can't see
any pattern in the data that explains why it might be missing so many
trials. In other words, it's not happening in a particular block of
trials, or on every other trial, etc.

As a result, this leaves the possibility that it is a software issue.
In other words, there seems to be something with the program that is
not letting it record every trial as it should (maybe something I
forgot to turn on, or off; etc.). I don't know if I have done something
incorrectly, or if e-prime just isn't capable of doing what I need it
to do. I'm not sure if any of you have had a similar problem (with a
know solution), or if any of you have any advice for creating a program
that successfully records two simultaneous responses.

I'm very sorry for the length of the message; it's a complicated
problem that I wanted to try to explain fully. Any help or advice you
can give me is much appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeffrey P. Lozito
Department of Psychology