Trigger Rapid2 TMS stimulator

Nikos Konstantinou nkonstantinou at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:37:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I would appreciate it if anybody has any helpful suggestions:

 1. I am connecting a TMS Magstim Rapid2 stimulator with a pc that is
running Eprime. Every time I press "save" or "run" on the Eprime software
the stimulator is triggered! It is doing that with any Eprime scirpt! I
don't want it to do that but instead I want the stimulator to be triggered
at an output percentage value defined in Eprime, and at the specific time
defined in Eprime.

2. I need to determine Phosphenes thresholds expressed as percentages of the
TMS machine output. I am quoting the procedure from a recent paper:

* "Phosphene thresholds were determined using a modified binary search
paradigm (MOBS) that determines the upper and lower limits for the
thresholds, expressed as percentages of the TMS machine output. The point
midway between these limits was tested and the limits adjusted according to
the subject's response. On each trial either the upper or lower limit of the
range was updated depending on whether a phosphene was detected on the
previous trial. If a phosphene was detected, the TMS machine value became
the new upper limit. If a phosphene was not detected the TMS value was set
as the lower limit. The new midpoint was then used as the test level on the
next trial (For details of adjustments in cases of successive "seen" or "not
seen" reports see Tyrell & Owens).  The threshold was determined as being
reached when the direction of the steps made by the test value had changed five
times, or when the difference between the lower and upper limits was no more
than 2% of the stimulator output."*

In the past we have done what I descipe above on oder TMS stimulators. I
uploaded a file called "TMStriggerHL" in case anyone wants to take a look.

Cheers,

Nikos