paired Stop Signal Task

Egbert Hartstra E.Hartstra at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 11:15:42 UTC 2007

Dear E-Prime users,

I am a relatively unexperienced programmer and I now have to program a
stop signal paradigm in E-Prime. This is what I have so far: I have a
list with all my stimuli, out of which a random selection will be
made. Within this list, I have nested a signal list which contains 1s
and 0s. Out of this signal list also, a random selection is made. The
word, paired with the signal coding, will then enter an inline which
specifies the trial type (Stop Trial  or Go Trial). I also have the
delay algorithm implemented (+50ms on a succesful trial, -50ms
otherwise).
My problem however is that a certain amount of the trials have to be
presented twice (and only twice) and that these trials must also have
a random signal code attached to them. My idea was to attach (throug
another nested list) a repeat/no-repeat code to make sure that the
word is presented twice whenever the repeat attribute reads 1 or
something like that but I haven't been succesful so far.
My question thus is: How do I make sure that I get a list of trials in
which some (around 2/3)stimuli are repeated (after lag 1 or lag 5,
should be equal amounts), all stimuli are selected randomly, and the
experiment is made up out of 1/3, randomly assigned signal trials. To
be clear: if a certain stimulus is repeated, it may, on the first
occurance, have a signal coding and in the second occurance a no
signal coding (or whatever kind of combination, this should be
random).

I hope this problem is solvable. In any case, thanks very much in
advance.

E. Hartstra.