Using an InLine script for PortOut on multiple ImageDisplays

acadw CadeWarrenCNS at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 05:05:33 UTC 2008

Hi all, fairly new to E-Prime, though I know most of the basics. I am
working on an experiment which uses the BART task (balloon analogue
risk task), which shows a series of balloons that gradually inflate
bigger and bigger until they explode. There are three types of
balloons, one of which is set to always explode after one set number
of expansions (let's say 10 expansions), while the other two are more
random; for one of these balloons, there are 8 different points at
which the balloon will explode (let's say the 11th-18th expansions),
and the final type of balloon will explode at 8 different expansions
(let's say the 2nd-9th). The actual numbers aren't important, I'm just
trying to give an idea of the task. Basically, the participant is to
choose a point at which to stop before the balloon explodes (the task
measures impulsiveness and is used with drug abusers and such).

The E-Prime is set up with a series of ImageDisplays that is to call
each picture of a balloon from whatever random list member it pulls
on. So, if it pulls the balloon with fixed expansion, it will show the
first picture on ImageDisplay1, second on ImageDisplay2, etc., until
the user selects a certain balloon size or the balloon explodes. There
are up to 23 ImageDisplays in this experiment, I believe.

I am converting these experiments from a previous set-up that used
IFIS (we do not need IFIS, so those settings have been deleted), and I
am setting it up for fMRI using InLine scripts to dictate that certain
information to be sent to the TTL output files for each ImageDisplay
using a kind of Port to transmit particular Attribute information (in
this case, a fingerpad for the participant to select a certain balloon
size).

My question is: do I need to place an InLine script for each of these
ImageDisplays to send its information to the output TTL files upon the
participant's selection, or is there a way to create some kind of user-
defined variable in place of the ImageDisplay's name in the InLine
script? My InLine script looks like this:

TargetImage.OnsetSignalEnabled = true
TargetImage.OnsetSignalPort = 888
TargetImage.OnsetSignalData = c.GetAttrib("PortOut")
TargetImage.OffsetSignalEnabled = true
TargetImage.OffsetSignalPort = 888
TargetImage.OffsetSignalData = 0

Basically, the TargetImage can only be one defined object, yet I need
it to be a variable that can refer to each ImageDisplay we have. Any
thoughts?

AC