Script for cleaning up participants' typed responses

Joseph Williams josephjaywilliams at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 03:47:24 UTC 2008

I've started running several experiments in which I record people's typed
what they're typing into it. Now I'm trying to look at the responses, but
the problem is that E-prime gives me these responses as literal translations
of what's been typed: e.g.
{SHIFT}The{SPACE}object{SPACE}was{SPACE}of{SPACE}type{SPACE}{SHIFT}G{.}{DOWNARROW}

I'm not sure if this has been solved in E-prime 2.0, but I wanted to find
out if anyone had already written a script for cleaning up this kind of
response (that goes through and gets rid of the spaces,shifts,etc) or if
there was a better way to get this information out of the e-data file (or
even to change how I'm encoding it while the program is running).

Thanks,

Joseph